Because black walnuts pack so much protein, they are a great plant-based protein staple and meat alternative! Healthy Grocery Girl loves making a seasoned walnut crumble for tacos, burritos or in spaghetti sauce… the ideas are endless! Here’s a really delicious Black Walnut Burrito Bowl recipe from Healthy Grocery Girl and how you make it:
BURRITO BOWL INGREDIENTS
¾ cup jasmine rice
¼ cup white quinoa
1 (15oz) can black beans
1 cup fire roasted corn
1 medium sweet potato
6 large leaves kale
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
SEASONED BLACK WALNUT CRUMBLE
2 cups chopped black walnuts
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
½ cup sundried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Optional: 1-2 deseeded fresh peppers of choice, if you like more heat.
COCONUT CILANTRO LIME SAUCE
1 cup canned coconut cream
¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
½ lime, juiced
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- To make the seasoned black walnut crumble; preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pulse all ingredients (except the walnuts) in a food processor until the mixture is evenly ground, then add the walnuts and pulse together.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet, bake for 30 minutes, stir a few times throughout.
- Chop the sweet potato, toss in EVOO and bake in the oven with the walnuts.
- Add the rice and quinoa into a medium pot with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, add a lid and drop the heat to low, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse, dry and divy in the kale. Chop and add to a medium bowl, drizzle with EVOO and squeeze half a lime over the top, massage with clean hands.
- To make the coconut cilantro lime sauce, add all of the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Build the burrito bowl by adding all ingredients into a bowl and top with a dollop of coconut cilantro lime sauce. Enjoy!